As Seen on Fox 11: Guilt-Free Healthy Snacks That Will Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
It’s the new year, and a great way to get your eating back on track is to have healthier eating alternatives. Pastry chef Jamie Maxfield prepared these oatmeal muffins on Fox in the Morning.
She used oatmeal instead of flour and honey instead of sugar. The muffins also have some Greek yogurt added for protein.
For different alternatives, you can also use apple sauce or bananas to add a bit more sweetness. You can even add fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts or coulis to vary up your recipe.
2 tablespoons of old fashioned oatmeal, for garnish
2/3 cup of old fashioned oats
1 cup ground old fashioned oats
1 1/3 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cups applesauce or ripe mashed banana
1/4 cup honey
2 medium eggs
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup dried fruit, dried nuts or nuts (optional)
- Line and spray 12-cup muffin tin, set aside
- Prepare and mix dry ingredients, set aside
- Mix wet ingredients together
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet
- Fold in the fruit or nuts
- Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full with batter
- Bake at 350-degrees for 20-25 minutes
Serves 12 muffins.